SAVEM is a Response and Recovery agency.
Our Mission is to Triage, Treat, Rescue and Reunite POST an event.
In response to an Emergency incident, SAVEM is activated by the State Government department, Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) to support and work in the emergency area alongside other agencies.
SAVEM was formed initially to meet the needs of companion animals and wildlife, but we are a multi-species agency, and will support and supplement PIRSA in their response to an incident involving livestock and horses.
SAVEM's emergency response structure includes a State Control Centre, Regional Coordination Centres and Local Control Centres supporting in-field activities, ultimately linked back to the State Emergency Centre from which the principal emergency services operate.
What we can do
- Our Field Operations teams will work to rescue, triage, treat and return animals to their owners.
- Our Planning teams will collate information from the field and plan to be one step ahead to meet the needs of Field teams.
- Our Logistics teams will resource the needs of the operation - we can get supplies and veterinary and non-veterinary volunteers into the area after it is re-opened by the Controlling emergency services.
- We will work with wildlife and companion animals, and support PIRSA's role concerning livestock and horses.
What we can't do
- We can't go into an emergency area BEFORE we get the all-clear from the Emergency Service which is the designated Control Agency, for example, the CFS is the Control Agency for a bushfire.
- We can't provide an evacuation service for pets and other animals – it is the responsibility of animal owners to include their pets and other animals in their emergency evacuation plan.
The South Australian Fire & Emergency Services Commission (SAFECOM) has funded the SAVEM program in 2011/12 and 2012/13 to enable the provision of Training Workshops in metropolitan Adelaide and in Regional centres, a Public Awareness project and construction of our Website. This is possible via the Emergency Management Volunteer Support Scheme.